In a leaked talking points the Abiy regime sent on 15 December 2021 to Ethiopian missions, the regime directs foreign missions to do the following talking points, among others.
- Ethiopia will not compromise on its national sovereignty, territorial integrity and respect for its independence.
- Government is expediting humanitarian assistance to the Tigray.
- Expose the fact that TPLF was robbing fuel deposits in Dessie and Kombolcha cities and selling it on the black market in the towns of Shire and Mekelle as well as the commandeering of more than 1,000 trucks (including recent ones) that have traveled to Tigray to deliver aid. Stress that TPLF should be condemned for these actions and return the trucks so that they will be available for the delivery of much needed humanitarian assistance.
- The proposal of opening transboundary humanitarian corridors raised by OCHA is a dangerous move that should be denounced. As it has been confirmed from experience of other countries, transboundary humanitarian corridors were used as spring boards to strengthen the movement of armed groups and weaken the government by violating the sovereignty and territorial integrity of a country.
- Highlighting the bold initiative taken by the Council of Ministers regarding the establishment of Ethiopian National Dialogue Commission underline the commitment of the government to bring lasting solution to political differences in Ethiopia. Inform that the Commission will be working closely with H.E. Obasanjo in finding lasting peace in Ethiopia.
- Indicate that clear direction has been given by the National Security Council to assess the situation and take corrective measures if there were illegal arrests during the State of Emergency.
- Stress that the security situation on the ground does not warrant the relocation of international conferences and continued evacuating of diplomats as well as issuing travel warnings. This action needs to be argued boldly as it doesn’t have other meaning than just putting the Ethiopian government under unreasonable diplomatic pressure.
- Underline that calling a meeting to discuss Ethiopian human rights issues and tabling a draft resolution by some European Union member countries at the UN Human Rights Council is completely unacceptable. Therefore, Ethiopian missions should explain that this is politically motivated draft resolution and it should be ejected. (Refer to the press release of MOFA in this regards)
- Expose the WHO’s silence on the destruction of medical facilities by indicating that it clearly shows the biased position of its Director General.
- Some third countries that harbor anti Ethiopian elements such as TPLF and OLF Shene should be condemned and stopped. Their activities have to be publicly exposed. In this regard, the authorities of the countries should be informed that, this is completely against the cordial bilateral relations we are enjoying with their government and their people.
The talking point document also says that the UN Secretary General has passed a decision to relocate the venue of the upcoming Conference of International Telecommunication and Development scheduled for June 2022 in Addis Ababa to another country. It also says that there are activities to change the venue of the upcoming Annual AU Summit from Addis Ababa to another African city.